Monday, November 12, 2012

Cassidy - Act IV Themes and Personal Response

     I was debating on whether the theme of Act IV was either Disillusionment/Betrayal or Madness, but after reviewing the plots made in this part of the play, I believe that both are main themes.
   - In the beginning of Act IV, Gertrude confronts Claudius that Hamlet has gone insanely mad. This could be an arguement as to whether this is dissillusionment on Gertrude's part or if Hamlet is really mad; or both.
   - After hearing that Hamlet killed Polonius, Claudius decides to send Hamlet to England with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern with sealed orders for the King of England to execute Hamlet. This is an example of betrayal of Claudius.
   - After hearing about the news of their father Polonius's death, both Ophelia and Laertes are immediately consumed with madness. Laertes, assuming that Claudius killed his father, was notified that Hamlet was the slayer, so he decides to avenge his father by plotting to kill Hamlet. After hearing that Hamlet is on his way back to Denmark, both Claudius and Laertes discuss a plan to kill Hamlet, which is another act of betrayal of Claudius.





Personal Response

               I must say that I am hooked on Hamlet as of now. Although I am sad about the death of Ophelia, I am stoked about reading the last act. I have a feeling that it may be sad, but I also believe that theres plenty of action in store. I enjoyed Act IV more than the first acts. I realized that not only Claudius is a murderer, he is also a hypocrite; helping Laertes avenge his father by helping him kill Hamlet, when Hamlet is trying to avenge his father by attempting to kill Claudius. Overall, I'm loving the book so far. Shakespeare rocks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment