Thursday, November 1, 2012

Act1- Personal Response- Erika Kehrt

Surprisingly I quite enjoyed the first act of Hamlet as I read it. I found it kind of difficult to translate Shakespeare’s language into the modern language we use today; however, after we watched the first act of the movie it started making sense in my head. The movie helps dictate the tone and mood of what Shakespeare is trying to convey throughout his play, and makes it easier to imagine the setting, characters, and era of when Shakespeare was writing. I enjoy how Shakespeare entwines biblical and mythological allusions throughout act 1. It appears that he based the play Hamlet off of the Old Testament story of Cain and Able. It is an instructional bible story because it depicts how jealousy can get the best of you and even lead to murder.

I think the most important scene in the first act is the third scene, where Laertes and Polonius talk to Ophelia about her love for Hamlet. This scene is filled with foreshadowing and emotion. It seems to be foreshadowing that Ophelia will disobey Laertes and Polonius even though she says, “I will obey, my lord.” This could ultimately set the tone for the rest of the story and bring on strong emotions between characters. It may even show corruption of characters within the story which is shown in the next scene when Hamlet finds out that his dad was murdered by his uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment