Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Act 5- Personal Response- Erika Kehrt


I did not like the ending AT ALL! I thought Hamlet was going to outsmart the King and Laertes, by figuring out their plan and seeking revenge on them both in an honorable way. However, everything back fired on him. During the whole play he was worried about killing King Claudius when he had not confessed his sins so that he would go to the place where he deserved. But Hamlet was killed as well as the King and didn’t have a chance to confess his sins; therefore, he was in the same situation as King Claudius. Personally I am happy King Claudius died because he tried killing Hamlet for his own sake. I found it kind of sad that the Queen died though. I truly didn’t think she was a bad person because Shakespeare was writing in the time period where women were inferior to men, so I feel like she was kind of forced into that marriage. Although I know she was completely innocent I don’t think she was as bad as they made her out to be.

I was happy at the fact that Laertes and Hamlet forgave each other before their deaths because that illuminates the good people they both are. Before Hamlet went to the fencing match against Laertes I found it quote ironic that Shakespeare inserted into the play Hamlets doubts about participating in the dual; however, he ignored his doubts and went anyway. After this little scene I knew that the fate of Hamlet wasn’t good. It was obvious to me something bad was going to happen because he stated that if it is meant to be it will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment